Disgusting buy fairly interesting article in Rolling Stone regarding the fairly dastardly practices of the American pork industry. Having driven past some of the reeking cattle feedlots of California, I can certainly say that operations like this don’t make good neighbors. Between this piece and the expo that the NYT did a few years back about the meat packing industry in the South, it seems like the meat industry is hopefully headed for another Upton Sinclair moment in the near future. I’ll have to dig out that old piece I found a few years back that explained why Richard Nixon’s decision to end Federal programs aimed at keeping grain prices high were ultimately responsible for the industrialization of agriculture and the American obesity problem. Of course, who’s going to come out and say that they would happily pay extra for their food?
- Did Tasers Kill Oscar Grant?
- CNN Bravely Fires Editor for Making Controversial Tweet
- What exactly is the constituency of the Democratic Party?
- Easter and Commercialism
- Coverage of the Protests in Tibet
- Chris Hedges: I Don’t Believe in Atheists
- With Friends Like These…
- Listening to (the headlines about) Prozac
- Religion in the US: Surveying the Field
- Enter the Nader